WOMEN, INFANTS, AND CHILDREN, A SPECIAL SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION PROGRAM (WIC)
WIC saves lives and improves the health of nutritionally at-risk women, infants and children. Studies have shown that, since its inception in 1974, WIC is one of the nation’s most successful and cost-effective nutrition intervention programs. The following highlights some of the program’s benefits:
- improved birth outcomes, including fewer premature births, fewer infant deaths, and savings in health care costs
- improved diet and diet-related outcomes
- improved infant feeding practices
- improved immunization rates and regular source of medical care
- improved cognitive development and children’s school-readiness
- improved pre-conception nutritional status
- improved growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children
- decreased incidence of iron deficiency anemia in children
WIC Peer Counselor Breastfeeding Program
Sunrise Children’s Foundation has created a lactation support program to assist WIC clients in meeting their breastfeeding goals. Studies show that 75% of all pregnant women plan to breastfeed but very few are still breastfeeding six months after delivery. Breastfed babies have an I.Q. that is eight to ten points higher than that of formula fed babies. The risk of premature death in the first year of life is increased by 25% in formula fed infants. The incidence of all diseases studied is higher in formula fed individuals than in those who were breastfed. Affordable healthcare begins with breastfeeding.
Sunrise Children’s Foundation in collaboration with Nevada WIC has implemented four sites to improve the health of Nevada’s pregnant women, infants and children up to five years of age, who are eligible for the program. The Sunrise WIC Clinics, operated by Sunrise Children’s Foundation, serve approximately 15,000 individuals and families in need each month.
For more information about WIC visit www.fns.usda.gov or contact your nearest clinic.
Do your Nutrition Education ONLINE!
Follow these easy steps:
- Go to wichealth.org
- Sign up and complete your profile.
- Click “Start A New Lesson” on your dashboard.
- Choose a lesson from one of five categories (Breastfeeding, Infants, Children Ages 1-5, Healthy Families and New & Expecting Families
- Complete the lesson
- Fill out the survey.
- Print or email your certificate of completion.
For a full listing of all of the available classes simply logo onto wichealth.org. There are over 30 topics are availabe in both English and Spanish.
Realice su educacion alimentaria por INTERNET!
Para comenzar, siga estas instrucciones sencillas:
- Vaya al sition Web: es.wichealth.org.
- Debe seleccionar En Español par aver la pagina en español.
- Abra una cuenta.
- De las 3 categorías, elige una lección.
- Complete la lección.
- Llene la encuesta.
- Imprima o envie por correo electrónico su certificado de finalización.
For questions or more information simply email us directly at email@example.com.